[collectd] OpenVPN plugin 2.0

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Sep 25 14:11:59 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

thanks again for your patch :) I've changed bits and pieces here and
there, but overall it looks good :)

The code is available in the mc/openvpn branch of the Git repository.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 03:53:22PM +0200, Marco Chiappero wrote:
> However, due to a bug in the previous code, no compression collection
> was working and so the new one is not going to brake backward
> compatibility.

How was that broken and what did you need to do to fix it?

> Unfortunately backward compatibility is broken by the new naming
> schema, more collectd compliant (and necessary with multiple
> conf/status files support). So plugin_istance is now the status file
> name (or the status entry number), while the plugin_type is now the
> hostname when in multicontext mode or the traffic and overhead when in
> single.

I'm afraid we need backwards compatibility for this. In the Sensors
plugin we have a config option called “ExtendedSensorNaming” for this.
I'd do the same here and introduce a

  ImprovedNamingSchema true|false

option which, to preserve backwardscompatibility, defaults to “false”.

Regards,
—octo