[collectd] Too many open files

János Prepuk prepuk.janos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:27:42 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I see the following notification in the logfile:
plugin_notification_meta_free: n == NULL!
plugin_notification_meta_free: n == NULL!
.
.
plugin_notification_meta_free: n == NULL!
exec plugin: pipe failed: Too many open files
.
.
exec plugin: pipe failed: Too many open files

After it:
Notification: severity = FAILURE, host = x01.switch, plugin = snmp, type =
if_std_traffic, type_instance = FastEthernet0_37, message =
x01.switch/snmp/if_std_traffic-FastEthernet0_37 has not been
updated for 683 seconds.
.
.
.
Notification: severity = FAILURE, host = x02.switch, plugin = snmp, type =
if_std_traffic, type_instance = FastEthernet0_15, message =
x02.switch/snmp/if_std_traffic-FastEthernet0_15 has not been
updated for 13421 seconds.

As I didn't notice it, there aren't data about interfaces of these host in
this period.

Only the collectd restarting solved the problem.

Have you got any idea, why this problem was?

Thank you in advance.