[collectd] Git repository layout (was: Humble question on collectd)

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Sep 14 12:50:48 CEST 2009

Hi Mirko,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:51:36AM +0200, Mirko Buffoni wrote:
> I've seen the announcement of the new release 4.8.0 Congratulations.
> Now a, maybe, stupid question: why some many branches?  4.6.x, 4.7.x
> and 4.8.0 now? I couldn't find (or I didn't search well) why so many
> branches are kept up to date.

we maintain three branches: One development branch (named “master”) and
two bugfix branches. The first bugfix branch corresponds to the latest
release, the second bugfix branch corresponds to the second latest
release. Currently “bugfix0” = “collectd-4.8” and “bugfix1” =
“collectd-4.7”.

Bugfixes are applied to the earliest branch possible. If a bug existed
for a while, this is probably the “bugfix1” branch. If the bug was
introduces in the latest release (i. e. “collectd-4.8” currently), then
the fix is applied to “bugfix0”. If the commit fixes a bug that has not
yet been released or adds a new feature, it is committed to the “master”
branch. From time to time, the “bugfix1” branch is merged into the
“bugfix0” and the “bugfix0” branch is merged into “master”, so that
bugfixes are included in all appropriate branches.

I've drawn a diagram of this:

  ◆ ◄──────── master   ⎫
  │╲                   ⎪
  │ ╲                  ⎪
  │  ◆ ◄───── bugfix0  ⎬  branch heads
  │  │╲                ⎪
  │  │ ╲               ⎪
  │  │  ◆ ◄── bugfix1  ⎭
  │  │  │
  │  │  │
  ◇◅─│──│──── bug not released yet / new feature
  │  │  │     (available in “master” only)
  │  │  │
  │  ◇◅─│──── fix for bug introduced in the newest version
  │  │  │     (available in “bugfix0” and “master”)
  │  │  │
  │  │  ◇◅─── fix for bug introduced in an earlier version
  │  │  │     (available in “bugfix1”, “bugfix0” and “master”)
  │  │  │

(Sorry if this doesn't display correctly for you, Unicode-art is just so
much more fun than ASCII-art ;)

With the release of version 4.8 the “collectd-4.7” branch became the new
“bugfix1” branch and the “collectd-4.6” branch is now obsolete. I have
created 4.6.5 so that the “collectd-4.6” does not fall into oblivion
with unreleased bugfixes for version 4.6 in it.

Hope this answers your question. If not, don't hesitate to poke me
again :)