[collectd] Version 4.8.0 available
octo at verplant.org
Sun Sep 13 20:02:00 CEST 2009
I'm pleased to announce version 4.8.0 of collectd, the system statistics
collection daemon, after roughly 4 months of development. This release
adds many new features, including eight new plugins, increasing the
total plugin count to 89!
Highlights of the new features are:
* Support for DERIVE data source types. This improves handling of
counters which are reset occasionally and was a much requested
feature for a long time.
* The cURL-JSON plugin reads JSON files using the cURL library and
parses the contents according to user specification. Among other
things, this allows to read statistics from CouchDB and Hadoop
* The GenericJMX plugin allows to query arbitrary data from a Java
process using the Java Management Extensions (JMX). This makes is
possible to collect statistics from application servers, such as
The new version is available as tarballs from collectd’s homepage,
<http://collectd.org/>. To download the tarballs directly use the
following download links:
Size: ~1.2 MBytes
Size: ~1.6 MBytes
Many thanks to everybody to helped make this release possible!
The people who contributed to this release are:
Andrés J. Díaz
Thanks guys, your work is much appreciated!
2009-09-13, Version 4.8.0
* collectd: Two new data source types, “DERIVE” and “ABSOLUTE”, have
been added. “DERIVE” can be used for counters that are reset
occasionally. Thanks to Mariusz Gronczewski for implementing this.
* thresholds: The advanced threshold options “Percentage”, “Hits”, and
“Hysteresis” have been added. Thanks to Andrés J. Díaz for hit
* curl_json plugin: The new cURL-JSON plugin reads JSON files using
the cURL library and parses the contents according to user
specification. Among other things, this allows to read statistics
from a CouchDB instance. Thanks to Doug MacEachern for the patch.
* df plugin: Using the new “ReportByDevice” option the device rather
than the mount point can be used to identify partitions. Thanks to
Paul Sadauskas for the patch.
* dns plugin: The possibility to ignore numeric QTypes has been added.
Thanks to Mirko Buffoni for the patch.
* GenericJMX plugin: The new, Java-based GenericJMX plugin allows to
query arbitrary data from a Java process using the “Java Management
* madwifi plugin: The new MadWifi plugin collects information about
Atheros wireless LAN chipsets from the MadWifi driver. Thanks to
Ondrej Zajicek for his patches.
* network plugin: The receive- and send-buffer-sizes have been made
configurable, allowing for bigger and smaller packets. Thanks to
Aman Gupta for the patch.
* olsrd plugin: The new OLSRd plugin queries routing information from
the “Optimized Link State Routing” daemon.
* rrdtool plugin: A new configuration option allows to define a random
write delay when writing RRD files. This spreads the load created by
writing RRD files more evenly. Thanks to Mariusz Gronczewski for the
* swap plugin: The possibility to collect swapped in/out pages has
been added to the Swap plugin. Thanks to Stefan Völkel for the
* tokyotyrant plugin: The new TokyoTyrant plugin reads the number of
records and file size from a running Tokyo Tyrant server. Thanks to
Paul Sadauskas for the patch.
* write_http plugin: The new Write HTTP plugin sends the values
collected by collectd to a web-server using HTTP POST requests.
Thanks to Paul Sadauskas for the patch.
* zfs_arc plugin: The new ZFS ARC plugin collects information about
the “Adaptive Replacement Cache” (ARC) of the “Zeta File-System”
(ZFS). Thanks to Anthony Dewhurst for the patch.
* empty_counter match: The new Empty Counter match matches value
lists, where at least one data source is of type COUNTER and the
counter value of all counter data sources is zero.
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://mailman.verplant.org/pipermail/collectd/attachments/20090913/16221d07/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the collectd