[collectd] java plugin class files

Amit Gupta amit.gupta221 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:36:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org> wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 06:34:04PM +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:
> > I was wondering why the java plugin api class files are published under
> > share/collectd/java. Ideally, a java-plugin.jar file containing all the
> > class files should get published rather than the individual class files.
>
> That sounds like a good idea to me (from what I've seen so far this is
> the more common case in the Java world). I suppose that installing
> individual .class files was easier to implement for now and nobody
> bothered about changing that. Please feel free to provide a patch
> (remember to update the sample config in src/collectd.conf.in as well)
> ;-)

I will start working on the patch.

> > Additionally, the jar files IMO should get published to the lib directory
> > where the so files are sitting rather than the share directory.
>
> Why do you think so?
>
> If those files are architecture independent (which, I suppose, is the
> case, but I'm not sure how JNI has an effect on that), /usr/share/
> collectd/ is the right place for them (according to FHS).

I think of jar files equivalent of .so files. A jar file is used to ship
collection of java class files similar to a .so file which is a collection
of object files.  If you look at any of the java based softwares, for
instance tomcat, you will find all the jars sitting in the lib directory.

Regards
Amit