[collectd] java plugin class files

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Sep 8 15:35:52 CEST 2009

Hi Amit,

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 06:34:04PM +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:
> I was wondering why the java plugin api class files are published under
> share/collectd/java. Ideally, a java-plugin.jar file containing all the
> class files should get published rather than the individual class files.

That sounds like a good idea to me (from what I've seen so far this is
the more common case in the Java world). I suppose that installing
individual .class files was easier to implement for now and nobody
bothered about changing that. Please feel free to provide a patch
(remember to update the sample config in src/collectd.conf.in as well)
;-)

> Additionally, the jar files IMO should get published to the lib directory
> where the so files are sitting rather than the share directory.

Why do you think so?

If those files are architecture independent (which, I suppose, is the
case, but I'm not sure how JNI has an effect on that), /usr/share/
collectd/ is the right place for them (according to FHS).

Cheers,