[collectd] Shouldnt collectd also provide an interface to the data?

Lindsay Holmwood lindsay at holmwood.id.au
Fri Sep 4 17:49:29 CEST 2009

2009/9/4 Yann <yann.hamon at gmail.com>:

> Having the data served in JSON sure makes some sense as it takes away
> the problem for the authentication (rely on apache or other httpd) and
> makes it easier for javascript apps to get to the data. However it
> means you'd need a full httpd server on your collectd host, 'm not
> sure if it's the best way?

It's written in Ruby (Sinatra, for those interested) so the web server
side of it can be as light or heavyweight as you want. You can deploy
it with mod_passenger + Apache/nginx if you want something
traditional, or Mongrel/Thin and make it pure Ruby - whatever works
best for your environment.

> If you could try to separate the JSON serving and the rest that would
> be awsome though :) If I write properly I should be able to adapt to
> any other API though...

Already done. The UI is very light HTML with crazy JavaScript
shenanigans to render the graphs. It makes AJAX requests back to the
JSON interface, which just happens to be served from the same process.

Lindsay

--
http://holmwood.id.au/~lindsay/ (me)