[collectd] collectd network protocol architecture dependent?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Oct 21 09:55:37 CEST 2009

Hi Josef,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 05:41:23PM +0200, Josef Liška wrote:
> But, rrds generated directly on openwrt are not readable on x86_64,
> and converting using rrdtool dump to xml and then restore back is just
> not practical.

yes, RRD-files are architecture dependent and unfortunately this isn't
going to change with the next version of RRDtool either :/

> The next thing I tried was to send data over internet using collectd's
> native udp network protocol.
> RRD's (and csv files) are generated on server, but values are
> completly broken.

I think an endian issue is very likely here. Since you're running
collectd on OpenWrt, it was probably compiled on another architecture.
In that case it's impossible for the configure script to find out the
way floating point values are stored in memory *on the target platform*.
You therefore have to specify that when cross-compiling collectd. The
appropriate configure options are documented under “Crosscompiling” in
the file “README”.

Regards,
—octo