[collectd] "Redesign" of the Debian collectd package

Raimund Sacherer rs at runsolutions.com
Thu Oct 1 09:57:47 CEST 2009

* About the enPlugin disPlugin, i do not think the user will have a
lot of benefit here.

It's great if there are a bunch of plugins which do not really need
configuration,
if a (very) few packages need them it's ok, but if you *need* to
configure every plugin
it would be a little configuration nightmare.

I rather prefer editing one file than go through a mess of dirs/files
(i *HATE* the
exim4 new configuration, it's (IMO) a breaindead nightmare solution
which
i can not overcome to only try it, i really do prefer the postfix
configuration.

btw. how exactly handles postfix the configuration files? I like the
way you can
select with debconf No config, Local only, Internet Mail, etc. ...
How does postfix writes this changes, as well with sed? I guess so
because the
config file is clean and a reconfigure seems to just ad the missing
parts, could be
wrong thought, never give it that much attention because it basically
just works (tm).

Other solutions might be:

* I do not know if collectd can include other configuration files, but
is it feasible to
make the main configuration (server/client/proxy/writelocally) in
collect.conf and
make an include to collect.(local | additional).conf?

* what i do NOT like are constructs like in grub and other packages
with lines:
"Do not change this line, it's managed by package X", "Make your
changes below this line but do not delete it"
If possible this should be avoided

>> In following with the apache example, maybe deliver
>> /etc/collectd/collect.conf.example, and have a debconf question to
>> copy it into place?
>
> Are you talking about "collectd-core"? I'd rather like to avoid
> introducing debconf in that package as well. Imho, copying a sample
> config from /usr/share/doc/ is about the same amount of work as
> answering a debconf questions (which, in turn, would, presumably,
> avoid
> quite a few people in that case).
I second that collectd-core should be as simple as could be, do not
see it
necessary to have debconf in here too.

the more i think of it the more i like the way postfix handles this, i
would appreciate
the same approach for collectd!

best
Raimund