[collectd] collectd 4.5.4 - segfault after setting time

Vogt, Michael Michael.Vogt at united-security-providers.ch
Tue May 19 16:26:06 CEST 2009

Hey

The assumption that the error is related to the openipmi plugin is
wrong. However, i could reproduce the segfault with this little script:

---
/etc/init.d/ntpd stop
ntpdate ch.pool.ntp.org

-- start collectd here

/etc/init.d/ntpd start
date 051909592022.59

wait ~10s
segfault
---

The config file for collectd (stripped down version) can be found here:

----
#
# /etc/collectd.conf
#
# generated by collectd ebuild

Hostname    "localhost"
BaseDir     "/var/lib/collectd"
PIDFile     "/var/run/collectd.pid"
PluginDir   "/usr/lib/collectd"
TypesDB     "/usr/lib/collectd/types.db"
Interval    10
ReadThreads 5

######LoadPlugin interface
LoadPlugin load
LoadPlugin exec

# generated by collectd-plugin-threshold - do not edit manually
<Plugin exec>
        NotificationExec "collectd:collectd"
"/opt/usp/alerts/notification_catcher.sh"
</Plugin>

<Threshold>
        <Plugin "exec">
                Instance "interface"
                <Type "gauge">
                        Instance "eth1"
                        WarningMin 0 #grep marker:eth1
                        Persist true
                </Type>
        </Plugin>
        <Plugin "exec">
                Instance "interface"
                <Type "gauge">
                        Instance "eth2"
                        WarningMin 1 #grep marker:eth2
                        Persist true
                </Type>
        </Plugin>
        <Plugin "exec">
                Instance "raid"
                <Type "gauge">
                        FailureMin 2 #grep marker:raid
			Persist true
                </Type>
        </Plugin>
	<Plugin "exec">
                Instance "interface"
                <Type "gauge">
                        Instance "eth0"
                        WarningMin 0 #grep marker:eth0
                        Persist true
                </Type>
        </Plugin>
        <Plugin "load">
                <Type "load">
                        DataSource "longterm"
                        WarningMax 8.0 #grep marker:sysload
			Persist true
                </Type>
        </Plugin>
	<Plugin "exec">
                Instance "nas"
                <Type "gauge">
                        FailureMin 3 #grep marker:application
                </Type>
        </Plugin>
</Threshold>
# generated by collectd-plugin-threshold - do not edit manually

<Plugin exec>
        Exec "collectd:collectd" "/root/exec.sh"
</Plugin>
----

/root/exec.sh is a stub file and looks like this:
----
localhost ~ # cat /root/exec.sh
/usr/bin/logger huhuuuu
echo PUTVAL localhost/exec-interface/gauge-eth0 N:0
echo PUTVAL localhost/exec-interface/gauge-eth1 N:1
echo PUTVAL localhost/exec-interface/gauge-eth2 N:0
echo PUTVAL localhost/exec-interface/gauge-eth3 N:0
----

A full backtrace is attached to this mail and called collectd.conf.log.

I also attached other backtraces i collected. I used the "normal"
collectd.conf file with the rrd output (im using rrdtool v1.2.27 btw).
But the segfault also happens if i disabled all output plugins. To make
this even more strange, the segault sometimes disaperars if i add /
remove a threshold item or add the logger plugin.

I also had sometimes a broken pipe signal (broken-pipe.log) due the
notification script, i let the program continue - then it segfaultedt
(post-broken-pipe-segfault.log).

I dont have any ideas left - i hope someone can help me!

Cheers
Michael