[collectd] fscache plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon May 18 12:58:55 CEST 2009

Hi Edward,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:41:04AM -0500, Edward Konetzko wrote:
> Host and Plugin I understand perfectly, Plugin instance, type and type
> instance I am a little fuzzy on.  Currently all metrics are broken
> down at the plugin instance level, where it seems to be that should be
> the single type fscache_stats and type should be Aquires, Allocs...
> and then the type instance should be the metrics related to type.  To
> me it seems that model would allow for adding additional types of
> metrics later if the kernel module exposes more.

as far as I see there are only a few types:

Number of ...
  * cookies
  * objects
  * pages
  * requests
  * lookups

So, yes, it'd probably make sense to use a separate type for each,
especially since the `type' can easily be determined by the ``section''
(or ``group'') in the file.

> I will work on another patch for if you want to go this direction,
> should have it done by tonight.

Okay, great :) Keep in mind, though, that since the plugin is released
already, the default behavior cannot change. You should add a
configuration option such as
  SeparateTypes true|false
which defaults to `false'. This way people can use the new naming
and we don't break backwards compatibility.