[collectd] Problem with wrapping interface and custom counters

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Mar 23 16:03:32 CET 2009

Hi Mariusz,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:43:04PM +0100, Mariusz Gronczewski wrote:
> is there any way to force collectd to give NaN when wrapping a counter
> (basically work like DERIVE datasouce in rrdtool) or use DERIVE
> instead of COUNTER when i fetch data via exec plugin ?

currently, the only way around these problems is to specify an
appropriate maximum value. If the value (the calculated rate for counter
values) exceeds this maximum value, RRDtool will automatically store a
NaN.

collectd simply passes the counters on to RRDtool, therefore doing
wrap-around- or reset-detection is not easily possible in collectd.

By the way, you can re-define types in a custom types.db. This is by
intention so you can set a maximum value without modifying the
distribution provided file which is probably overwritten next time you
update the package..

If you have any suggestions to improve the situation, I'm agog to hear
it :)