[collectd] ip6tables and uptime plugin

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Thu Mar 12 19:00:54 CET 2009

Florian Forster ha scritto:
> Hi Marco,

Hi Florian

> Sorry, but I don't have an opinion on the separate vs. combined plugin
> question yet. I'll take a closer look at your patch at the weekend and
> let you know :)

Ok, thanks. :)

> Of course: Just because it's useless to me doesn't mean I won't accept
> such a plugin.. The UUID plugin is totally useless for *my* situations,
> too, but people in the cloud-computing business seem to be quite happy
> about it.. In my experience, the use-cases I can imagine are only the
> tip of the iceberg.

Sorry, I wrongly thought you didn't like it and you were not going to
include it. Ok, as soon as I can I'll start working on it, but I want to
be sure that a single GAUGE type is handy for every information we can
estrapolate from the uptime (even when you want to track uptime
percentage or trend over a certain period), to write some clear
commented graphs examples (which can be quite complex, expecially with
no math in VDEFs) for the doc or the wiki, and maybe test it on Solaris
(that I have never used before, but I like to learn something new :) ).
Moreover I have almost no spare time so... to make a long story short,
it will take some time.

> Since I'm seeing this just now: Could you please add yourself as a
> copyright holder and author to the header of the file? We try to be very
> correct about that ;)

Is that really necessary for a few modifications? Let's wait for your
opinion about the approach firt.

> Oh, and please add the new plugin to the `README' file and change the
> header in src/collectd.conf.pod from
>  =head2 Plugin C<iptables>
>  =head2 Plugins C<iptables> and C<ip6tables>

Ok, I will do it as soon as you think the code is fine.

Nice to talk with you,
cheers

Marco