[collectd] syntax to collect snmpd 'extend' script results ?

L. Gabriel Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:17:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a bunch of scripts running on a server, each returning a
current count of some value, which increments over time.

I've added the following to my /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf:

extend valueOneCount /foo/bar/counter_script One
extend valueOneCount /foo/bar/counter_script Two
etc

I would like to collect these with collectd via snmp, and here's
what's in my /etc/collectd.d/snmp.conf file:

<Plugin snmp>
   <Data "unicast">
      Type "if_packets"
      Table true
      Values "IF-MIB::ifHCInUcastPkts" "IF-MIB::ifHCOutUcastPkts"
   </Data>
   <Data "host_load">
      Type "host_load"
      Table false
      Values "UCD-SNMP-MIB::laLoadInt.1" "UCD-SNMP-MIB::laLoadInt.2" "UCD-SNMP-MIB::laLoadInt.3"
   </Data>
   <Data "host_extend">
      Type "host_dns"
      Table true
      Values "NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtendOutput2Table"
   </Data>
   <Host "FOO.BAR.NET">
      Address "192.168.0.6"
      Version 2
      Community "public"
      Collect "if_packets" "host_load" "host_extend"
      Interval 300
   </Host>
</Plugin>

When starting collectd, it only collects if_packets. I get the following
message logged to syslog re. host_load:

	snmp plugin: DataSet `host_load' not defined

and complete silence on host_extend...

Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong  would be much appreciated !

Thanks,
--G