[collectd] How to handle plugins written in Perl (was: plugin to retrieve values from mon.itor.us)

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Jun 22 20:38:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:17:41AM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> We have yet to decide how to handle Perl-based plugins, but I expect
> we will include the plugin in the bindings/perl/ directory and install
> it similar to Collectd::Unixsock.
>
> Sebastian, do you have any specific ideas?

I'd rather go for something like src/perl/, since, imho, bindings/
should include "glue-stuff" between collectd and some other / scripting
language only. I'd then go for putting all plugins into the
"Collectd::Plugin" (or "Collectd::Plugins") namespace and install them
to /usr/share/collectd/perl/Collectd/Plugin(s) (/usr/lib/... if they
should happen to include architecture dependent stuff - which would be
kinda odd though ;-)). /usr/share/collectd/perl/ should be added to the
default search path of the embedded interpreter [1].

What do you think?

Cheers,
Sebastian

[1] Thinking about that, Collectd.pm should also be installed to that
    directory since this is a package specific module that cannot
    reasonably be used outside of collectd.