[collectd] how to save data into text file?

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Jun 19 10:43:52 CEST 2009

Hi Gian,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:50:17AM +0200, GianLuca Sarto wrote:
> The serial output is a string formatted as a csv file:
> DD/MM/YY,HH:MM:SS,USER,EVENT

The unixsock plugin does not understand that kind of data. It defines
its own protocol that has to be used when submitting data to it.

> If the string is appended to a text file, I could view it with Apache,
> or later import it in an XLS or mySQL table.

Well, collectd is not about providing generic means to process random
(text) data but rather about processing "streams" of time-series data,
i.e. numeric data associated with time stamps.

I'm still not entirely sure what you're trying to do. Maybe you should
tell us a little bit more about your setup but I suspect that collectd
is not what you're looking for.

What you _could_ do though is to come up with a new plugin (written in
C, Perl or Java) that provides a socket and parses the output of your
converter and then submits that data to collectd.

HTH,
Sebastian

PS: Btw., did you reply off-list on purpose? If not, do you mind if I
    bounce your E-mail and my response to the list?