[collectd] Welcome to the "collectd" mailing list

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Jul 28 11:43:01 CEST 2009

Hi Mahendra,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:18:26PM -0400, Mahendra Kutare wrote:
> I have collectd version 4.5.3 installed on Xen platform.

Which Linux distribution do you use (does ".el5" in the Kernel uname
suggest RHEL5?)? Where did you get collectd from? Did you install a
pre-compiled package or did you compile it yourself? In the later case,
please provide the file "config.log" created during the build.

> 1. I enabled the Plugin section for libvirt but I don't see any entry for
> libvirt in LoadPlugin section in default /etc/collectd.conf file. So I added
> the entry myself and try starting the collectd with command and get this -
>
> [root at samoa1 ~ 10:39 PM]$ /etc/init.d/collectd start
> Starting collectd: Could not find plugin libvirt.
> [2009-07-27 22:39:38] Found a configuration for the `libvirt' plugin, but
> the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
> [2009-07-27 22:39:38] Found a configuration for the `libvirt' plugin, but
> the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>
> Next I see the plugin directory specified at /etc/collectd.conf is located
> at - *PluginDir   "/usr/lib64/collectd"*
>
> But libvirt.so.x file is not available there. I also see libvirt.so.x file
> in /usr/lib/ directory. So do I have to copy or create soft links to that
> file from plugin dir ?

libvirt.so.x is the libvirt library which is used by the "libvirt"
plugin (which might be confusing and, in fact, even confuses the build
system under certain conditions - we might want to think about renaming
the plugin in version 5). The plugin binary is called "libvirt.so"
without any version appended to it. If you cannot find that file in
PluginDir, most likely the plugin is not available - I need answers to
the questions above to provide more information about that.

> 2. I see there is a plugin for gmond - which essentially recieves data from
> ganglia gmonds but Is there a way to send collectd data to ganglia gmond ?

Nope, that is not (yet?) possible. Patches are welcome! ;-)

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM, <collectd-request at verplant.org> wrote:
[...]
> > You must know your password to change your options (including changing
> > the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:
> >
> >  <password>

Uhm ... I guess you should change your mailing-list password ;-)

Cheers,