[collectd] memcached:// support in curl plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Feb 23 09:33:48 CET 2009

Hi Doug,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 03:21:25PM -0800, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> I was starting on a generic plugin to pull metrics out of memcached
> using libmemcached, then had a look at the new curl plugin (which is
> great btw!) and realized most of the curl plugin features would
> apply.

sorry for the inert reaction, but I am of two minds about this. For one,
you're perfectly right and your patch does introduce only a few lines
new code. You'd probably have to copy a few functions to get the
functionality into an own plugin.

On the other hand, the entire `match' stuff has already been moved to an
extra module so plugins can use it easily. So the cURL plugin mostly
handles configuration and cURL options.

> Rather than copy-n-paste-n-rename most of curl.c, I had a  look at
> libcurl to see if we could plugin in a memcached scheme handler but
> the struct Curl_handler's are all static to url.c.

That's too bad, that'd be by far my favorite solution..

Tell you what: I'll try to make a separate plugin from your patch and
then we'll see how many code I actually did have to copy. I guess that
quite some functions from the cURL plugin can be removed in the end..
With the two alternatives side by side it might be a bit easier to judge
the pros and cons..