[collectd] Ohhhh jeeee, libgcrypt 1.4.1 + collectd 4.7.2

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Aug 31 20:37:08 CEST 2009

Hi again,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 08:06:23PM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:31:30AM -0700, Luke Heberling wrote:
> > also looks like there's some special initialization necessary for
> > threads. I doubt that this is handled by the new default behavior in
> > 1.4.4. Don't know that it's truly necessary if the network plugin is
> > the only plugin using gcrypt.

wow, thanks Luke! Good job catching this. :) Debugging this when there
is a problem would have been a nightmare. Bonus points for writing that
patch ;)

> > I followed an example for pthread initialization and  initialized
> > gcry to 32k, only since that's apparently the default that's used in
> > 1.4.3.
>
> It might even make sense to make that configurable (I'm thinking about
> people who've complained about "large" amounts of VM being allocated).

Let's wait until someone complains. Ultimately it might make sense to
use the value of the “network_config_packet_size” variable here, too.

> > I did it in network.c's module_register function. Kind of an abuse,
> > I know.
>
> I think this could safely be moved to the plugin's init function. The
> sockets are set up there as well, so gcrypt should not be used before
> the plugin has been initialized. Florian, did I miss anything?

I think the initialization function would be okay for this, too. I've
moved the code but couldn't test it yet. Feedback welcome :)