[collectd] collectd uses a lot of virtual memory

Christoffer Sawicki christoffer.sawicki at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 22:15:25 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 19:43, Mariusz Gronczewski<xani666 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>> * Linux instances virtualized by OpenVZ don't have a swap. Since
>> there's no swap, overcommitting would be dangerous since that could
>> lead to processes allocating virtual memory that would later be
>> inaccessible (since there's no real memory backing it). I'm not too
>> fond of random segfaults.
> how much u get for ur cash ? Provider now allowing any swap on VPS
> don't sound good to me. Im for example using linode.com, for $20 u get
> 360 MB ram, 16GB storage and 200GB transfer and all swap u want. Dunno
> if its a good offer (didnt tried other VPSes) but at least on XEN
> based VPS u dont have to pay more if ure afraid to get 1MB over RAM ;]

I pay 212.5 SEK a month for a VPS with 256 MB RAM and 62.5 SEK / extra
128 MB RAM from GleSYS (www.glesys.se). That means I pay about $56.4
USD a month for a system with 640 MB RAM. This is no sum to loose
sleep over, but I like getting value for my money. I want my VPS in
Sweden to keep the latency low and this was the best offer I found
last time I checked.

I used to have Xen VPS but didn't realize this downside with OpenVZ
until long after the switch. OpenVZ has some plusses though and in
overall I think both solutions are on a par.

Regards,
Christoffer Sawicki