[collectd] Output plugin for submitting values to an http server

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Aug 23 11:25:53 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:28:34AM -0600, Paul Sadauskas wrote:
> … if we go this route, all the output formatters (putval, csv, xml,
> etc...) should be in a reusable util library, that could also be used
> by the network plugin, and a generic "file" output plugin, to replace
> the csv output plugin.

right, I definitely second that :)

> >  * Implement support for multiple destinations.
> >   If at all desirable, we should add this before 4.8 because it will
> >   probably need modifications of the config options.
>
> I don't know how useful this would be.

Neither do I. But the past has shown that users are a lot more
imaginative in such respects than I am ;)

> I'm also not familiar with the config parser, but I don't see why it
> would be incompatible. Just go
> from:
>
>     Location "http://foo.com"
>
> to:
>
>     <Location "http://foo.com">
>       User "foo"
>     </Location>

That's possible with the config parser and not hard to implement either.
I'll take another look at the Apache and cURL plugins and see if we
could re-use some of the options' names.

> > Last but not least, I'm not very happy with the name “http”. What do you
> > think about renaming the plugin to “write_curl”?
>
> Not a huge fan of the name either. A better naming sceme to indicate
> output plugins would be handy. I see we have "Notify Email" and
> "Notify Desktop".

Right. Since this is not backwards compatible, it'll have to wait for a
new major version, though. I've added this to the todo-list in the
wiki [0].

> "curl" isn't a very good name, either, I think, because it implies it
> reports on or to curl, when curl is really just an implementation
> artifact.

Well, I though maybe it's possible to post via other protocols as well,
using libcurl…? If that's not the case, “write_http” or
“write_http_post” is probably a better choice.

[0] <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plans_for_5.0>