[collectd] Output plugin for submitting values to an http server

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Aug 21 11:52:38 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:42:11AM -0600, Paul Sadauskas wrote:
> octo already made a branch, ps/http, and I have a few more patches on
> my github branch: http://github.com/absperf/collectd/tree/http

I've hacked a bit on that branch this morning. I've fixed some stuff,
renamed the “Location” option to “URL” (the name used by all other
plugins) and implemented a ‘flush’ callback.

Next I'll test the plugin and if everything goes well I'll pull it into
master.

I have a few ideas on what'd be nice to add still:

 * Enforce SSL communication: Only send data if the server can be
   authenticated and the connection is encrypted.

 * Add support for other data formats, for example CSV, XML, and JSON.
   I've prepared for this by renaming the ‘http_write’ function to
   ‘http_write_command’. The (currently trivial) ‘http_write’ function
   can then be used to chose the appropriate formatting.

 * Implement support for multiple destinations.
   If at all desirable, we should add this before 4.8 because it will
   probably need modifications of the config options.

Last but not least, I'm not very happy with the name “http”. What do you
think about renaming the plugin to “write_curl”?