[collectd] Too many open files

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Aug 21 07:34:32 CEST 2009

Hi Domagoj,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 02:50:18PM +0200, Domagoj Mikac wrote:
> And after that, I have 1083 lines that look like this (with different
> last two numbers).
>
> collectd  4061   root    5u     IPv4      39946   UDP *:58507

the snmp plugin keeps the connection objects it creates for each host so
it doesn't need to create them again and again. It seems like those
connection objects keep the UDP socket open, which actually is kind of
reasonable.

Unfortunately, this will limit us to some small number of hosts,
either the number of ports or the number of file handles will limit
this. Maybe the above behavior should be configurable in order to allow
for higher numbers and/or keep file handle counts lower.