[collectd] couchdb plugin rename?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Aug 20 19:55:26 CEST 2009

Hi :)

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:31:22AM -0700, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> Since then, I've looked at Dynomite  which has its own set of metrics
> exposed the same way: http://gist.github.com/137771
> Also noticed Hadoop 0.21 daemons now support: "/metrics?format=json to
> retrieve the data in a structured form.", but haven't had a chance to
> try yet.

neat – one ring to rule them all! ;)

> So I'm wondering if 'couchdb'  should be renamed to something more
> generic, 'json' or 'yajl' maybe?

Sounds reasonable. I think “curl_json” and “curl_yajl” would be good
names, too.

> And/or pushing the curl/yajl code out to util functions, then add the
> couchdb specific metrics to the couchdb plugin.  Then also use the
> util functions for dynomite, hadoop, etc., specific plugins.
> Thoughts?

I've thought about putting the libcurl stuff into an external module
today, too, when I was writing the “follow redirections” patch [0].
The yajl code could possibly be abstracted similar to the “match” code
in ‘src/utils_match.h’.

In the future, we might be able to add other parsing / matching modules,
for example for XML or other structured data.

[0] <http://git.verplant.org/?p=collectd.git;a=commitdiff;h=17a04c7afcf44707f6bc45697212c1f8fc6aa761>