[collectd] generic JMX plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Aug 5 18:18:44 CEST 2009

Hi Matthew,

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:47:59AM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> Also to report- this plugin keeps the collectd daemon from shutting
> down cleanly.  I have to kill -9 it every time.
>
> [2009-08-04 11:38:14] Exiting normally.
> [2009-08-04 11:38:14] collectd: Stopping 5 read threads.

I can confirm that there is some sort of problem. I get some weird
behavior with (Sun) Java 1.5 and 1.6 on Debian Etch and Lenny/Squeeze. I
have only observed problems when letting collectd fork to the background
- when running with `-f' the daemon works just fine.

The problems I have observed appear to be just one problem, though:

  - When run in the background, the daemon (or rather, the Java plugin)
    appears to get stuck shortly after starting.
  - Shutdown does not work as expected. The daemon is hanging with a
    couple of threads calling `pthread_cond_timedwait'. This looks a lot
    like a deadlock.

I have just realized, though, that I usually kill collectd with SIGTERM
but when it's running in the foreground I simply use ^C (i. e. SIGINT).
Since libjvm appears to install a lot of signal handlers, the shutdown
problem might be related to that. I'll give that a try tomorrow.