[collectd] generic JMX plugin

matthew sporleder msporleder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:47:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Florian Forster<octo at verplant.org> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 03:00:51PM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
>> I got the plugin to load and I see an open connection to my host, but
>> I don't see any output.  Where are these stats supposed to go?
>
> the stats are dispatched to the daemon. This means what happens to the
> data depends on your configuration.

I have other stats going to the rrd plugin, so I assume its setup
correctly.  Do I need to do anything special to get the java plugin
configured to dispatch into the daemon?

>> Also, where do I configure a username and password for a connection?
>> Right now I'm using no security.
>
> Me neither. I did all my tests with the following arguments to the JVM:
>
>  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=17264
>  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
>  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
>
> I didn't find out how to do authentication yet and SSL with JMX seems to
> be a huge pain in the you-know-where.
>
> I'll try to find out how the authentication works and, if it's not
> somehow included in the “service URL”, add that to the plugin.

Thanks!  I could probably get away without SSL if username and
password is available.

Also to report- this plugin keeps the collectd daemon from shutting
down cleanly.  I have to kill -9 it every time.

[2009-08-04 11:38:14] Exiting normally.
[2009-08-04 11:38:14] collectd: Stopping 5 read threads.

No more info..