[collectd] Collectd and load average

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Apr 22 23:24:42 CEST 2009

Hi Valentino,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:30:41AM -0700, Valentino Volonghi wrote:
> Usually the process doesn't increase load and all the servers remain
> at reasonable load values. For some reason though every once in a
> while one of them starts ramping up in load average up to more than 2
> load average values for the 1 minute number.

> I've also seen collectd using up to 90% CPU in those conditions, which
> seems to me completely wrong.

hm, sounds nasty.. What state is the process in when this condition
occurs? Running (`R' in `top')? Waiting for IO (`D' in `top')? And which
process is using the other 10% of CPU? Is that a multi processor
machine?

Maybe you could activate the `processes' plugin with this config:
  <Plugin "processes">
    Process "collectd"
  </Plugin>

You should then get a graph with the user- and system-CPU-time used by
the collectd process. Having this graph lines up with the load graph
would be very interesting I think..

> <Plugin tcpconns>
> 	ListeningPorts false
> 	LocalPort "80"
> 	RemotePort "*"
> </Plugin>

Probably not related, but `RemotePort "*"' should not work. If it would,
it'd mean something like ``create one value for each outgoing
connection'' which is very likely not what you want..