[collectd] apache and collectd plugin

Amit Gupta amit.gupta221 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:42:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org> wrote:
> I have to admit, I feel a little uncomfortable using `ReqPerSec' to
> detect Apaches and assume Lighttpd by default. I'd much prefer to use
> the scoreboard only to determine that. Since both servers use characters
> not used by the other, this should be possible to do:

>  else if (buf[i] == 'W') sending++; /* used by both */
>  else if (buf[i] == 'L') { logging++; looks_like_apache++; }
>  else if (buf[i] == 'r') { lighttpd_read++; looks_like_lighttpd++; }
>
>  if ((looks_like_apache != 0) && (looks_like_lighttpd != 0))
>    ERROR: could be both.
>  else if ((looks_like_apache == 0) && (looks_like_lighttpd == 0))
>    ERROR: looks like neither.
>  else if (looks_like_apache != 0)
>    submit Apache values.
>  else
>    submit Lighttpd values.
>
> The huge advantage I see is that we'd use the actual data we are
> concerned about to determine whether it's an Apache or Lighttpd. Using
> `ReqPerSec' works exactly so long as the Lighttpd don't decide to
> implement this ``missing'' feature, too.
>
> Does this sound reasonable or am I completely off here? ;)

This is what I thought earlier but then I wasn't sure if the
scoreboard output (along with legends) will always be present. I will
probably re-look at the scoreboard output.

> Oh, one more minor issue: The variable `sending' is submitted with the
> instance “sending” on Apache and “write” on Lighttpd. Maybe it'd be a
> good idea to unify this..

I have kept the type_instance (apache-scoreboard-<type_instance>) as
per the legend definition in the mod_status output (which is why I
didn't unify it), for instance, the legend 'W' stands for "sending
reply"  in apache and "write" in lighttpd. Do you want it to be
unified?

Regards
Amit