[collectd] collectd crash/exit on oracle connection error

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Apr 20 14:15:33 CEST 2009

Hi Bob,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 05:40:32AM -0600, Bob Cotton wrote:
> Trying out the oracle plugin. When the database is down it causes collectd
> to exit or crash (i'm guessing exit).

Do you use collectdmon (or something similar)? That should report the
exit status of collectd, so you can tell whether it crashed or exited
normally.

> Last syslogs:
>
> Apr 20 00:06:29 crushdb collectd[6553]: oracle plugin:
> o_read_database_query: OCIStmtExecute failed: ORA-03113: end-of-file on
> communication channel
> Apr 20 00:06:29 crushdb collectd[6553]: oracle plugin:
> o_read_database_query: Failing statement was: [...]

That particular error condition should not cause collectd to terminate
in any way, so I'd actually rather suspect a crash in some other part of
the code.

You could let collectd run in the foreground (-f command line option) to
check the exit status. In case of a crash, a backtrace (or a core-dump)
would be very helpful. (In that case, a binary compiled without
optimization and with debugging symbols would be the best.)

Also, debugging messages might give further indications for what is
happening - debugging has to be enabled at compile time though.

HTH,