[collectd] Collectd clients will loose connection to collectd server if restarted

Giorgio Mandolfo gmandolfo at threatmetrix.com
Thu Apr 16 03:53:15 CEST 2009

Hi all,

First of all a brief 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this
great piece of software.

I'm currently using collectd to monitor a small number of hosts. I have
a collected set as in server mode listening in the office and around 30
hosts are running collectd and sending (through an IPSec VPN) data
collected.

Graphs are then displayed locally on the server.

What happens is that if for any reason collectd running on the server
restarts (let's just say, reboot, power failure, hardware upgrade), all
the collectd daemons running on the 30 clients still continue sending
data (I can see it with tcpdump), but the collectd server seems not
catching it. After restarting collectd on every client, the server
starts to collect data again.

You probably understand that if I every time I need to restart collectd
on the server it's going to be a hassle to restart all the 30 (and
counting) collectd processing on 30 different machines :)

Does anybody had the same problem? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Giorgio