[collectd] JVM statistics collection?

Justo Alonso justo.alonso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:20:35 CEST 2008

Hi !
   I'm working on the jmx plugin. At this moment I have a semi-operational
plugin that check memory and threads of jvm.

   The plugin work in this form:

On init
1.- Start a JVM with JNI interface.
2.- For every host configuration, create a new java object
JMXCollectdConnector.
3.- For each data in every host, we add JMXCollectdData object to this
JMXCollectConnector.

On read
1.- For each host, we call the collect method of the JMXCollectdconnector
object of this host (this call all the collect methos of the datas).

JMXCollectdData is a java interface class, we can create class that
implements its. I make JMXCollectMemoryData and JMXCollectdThreadData to get
this stats.

At this moment, I have problems to detect the java virtual machine and all
includes and libs in the configure.in file .... the include and libs
directory depends on platform and type of virtual machine
($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so or
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so for libs and
$JAVA_HOME/jre/include/jni.h and $JAVA_HOME/jre/include/linux/jni_md.h).
Anyone can help me ??

TODO:
check exceptions and error control
check if it's thread-safe
document it !

I hope that next week could send a patch

justo