[collectd] tail plugin counting problems

Matthias Lay mlay at telco-tech.de
Tue Sep 16 10:27:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have encountered Problems with the tail plugin in version 4.5.0. I try
to count the lines of greylisted mails which inherits

": not found -> reject"
the hole line looks like

<21>Sep 16 10:19:23 smtpd: [16764]: xx.xx.177.40 xxxxx at xxxx.net
yyyy at yyyy.com: not found -> reject

my config section
##################
<Plugin "tail">
        <File "/var/log/mailstats/current">
           Instance "mails"
             <Match>
                Regex ": not found -> reject"
                DSType "CounterInc"
                Type "counter"
                Instance "grey"
       </Match>
        </File>
</Plugin>
now my problem is, the counting only works if the file is truncated. it
counts the lines correctly one time and afterwards I only get 0 values.

If I patch the tail plugin to truncate the file after submitting the
values it works fine.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

regard

loomy