[collectd] Dependencies for the netlink plugin (was: Question about collectd)

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Sep 13 11:29:11 CEST 2008

Hi Honia,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:46:22PM -0400, Honia A wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, actually the subject of my original email
> (which I sent to you and the mailing list couple of times) was:
> "Netlink plugin can not be found ..." I am not sure why no one replied
> to it... :) Here's the question I sent to you and the mailing list,
> please help me if possible, thanks in advance :)

hm, no idea why that message didn't make it to the mailing list. I
probably missed it when cleaning out the moderation filter and discarded
it. Sorry :/

> I am just trying to load the netlink plugin and looks like the plugin
> is missing or something...

Yes, the plugin is only built if it's dependencies can be found by the
configure script. Check if the configure script found the `netlink'
library or rather the error message why it wasn't found. You can find it
in the file `config.log' written by the configure script.

> I opened the collectd.conf file and checked for the plugin path, this
> is the path: "/opt/collectd/lib/collectd" and ...

I'd be great if you could provide the file as you use it in addition to
what you were trying to achieve. That way (a) we know exactly what you
ended up with and can (b) tell you ended up with the right result for
your problem or not. Anyway, right now your problem is that the plugin
wasn't built, very *very* likely because you don't have the necessary
dependencies.

What distribution are you using? In Debian the necessary library is in
the `iproute-dev' package.