[collectd] Problems under FreeBSD

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Mar 28 22:00:59 CET 2008

Hey Oleg,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:05:46PM +0300, Oleg King wrote:
> 1. configure did not detected rrdtools and libstatgrab, so I have to
> use --with-rrdtool=/usr/local --with-libstatgrab=/usr/local. Almost
> all libs under FreeBSD (and, surely, rrdtool and libstatgrab) are
> installed under /usr/local by default. May be, we need to change some
> defaults for FreeBSD?

if, then the /usr/local prefix should be added to the default
include/library paths of the CC/linker on the system.

If you want to use heads/libraries in non-standard paths (whatever your
system considers standard, that is), that's precisely what the --with-*
options are for.

> 2. Even with additional parameter configure did not found libstatgrab
> with following in config.log:
> /usr/local/lib/libstatgrab.so: undefined reference to `devstat_selectdevs',
> /usr/local/lib/libstatgrab.so: undefined reference to `devstat_getdevs'

That is because of..

> 3. configure was not found devstat library working because of probing
> getdevs function while such function called devsat_getdevs at least in
> FreeBSD 6.2-release and 7.0-release. after patching it was detected by
> configure and was succesfully compiled.

that is indeed not so good.. But the function must have had another name
at some point, I recall compiling collectd on FreeBSD on *dome* version
of FreeBSD. Renaming functions in libraries is just great :/ I'll look
into it ;)

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll have a look. But since I don't have
FreeBSD running anywhere I may need your help to test my changes..