[collectd] A few problems and suggestions

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Tue Mar 18 16:54:31 CET 2008

Marco Chiappero ha scritto:
> Florian Forster ha scritto:
>
>>> - the hddtemp plugin prevent hdparm to put drives in standby mode
>>>   after a certain period of time: so, hdparm -S <time> /dev/hd? don't
>>>   work anymore (hdparm -y /dev/hd? does, but it's unuseful to me).
>>
>> What can _we_ do different here? IIrc the hddtemp plugin simply connects
>> to and reads from the hddtempd using a socket.
>
> Maybe you can help me to understand why polling the server with a bash
> script doesn't affect the drives standby command after some time of
> inactivity like the hddtemp plugin does. It seems that it keeps
> accessing the drives. I'm not blaming you, I'd just like to understand why.

Ok, I was totaly wrong, my own bash script used the hddtemp (frontend)
command, while accessing directly to the server for the readings means
no hdparm -S command working. It seems it keeps using the drives
preventing them from sleeping. As I kill the scrip everything is working
again. However I can't understand why it is different using the hddtemp
command rather than accessing the server.
It is not really a collectd problem but maybe there's a way to find a
solution.

Regars
Marco