[collectd] enhancment for threshold (make a notice when value is in range)

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Mar 13 15:41:16 CET 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 03:29:48PM +0100, Dieter Bloms wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:59:37PM +0100, Dieter Bloms wrote:
> > > the treshold does make an event, if a value is out of range, but
> > > it doesn't make an event, if the value is in a range.
> > > Maybe it would be nice to have a parameter,n the configfile to enable
> > > a "good event".
> >
> > Do you have any example use cases for this? I currently do not see any
> > benefit from that.
>
> yes, I'am implementing a monitor system, which opens a ticket in our
> ibm tivoli enterprise console, so our on-call duty can react on it.
> If for example the load reach a high value, a ticket is opened.
> But when the load falls down after a short time, my monitoring system
> can close the ticket, before anybody has to react on it.

Okay. Imho it makes more sense then to get some kind of notification, if
a value turns back to state "OKAY" when it was it any other state
before. That notification could include information about how long the
value stayed in that other state. This could even be more generic if a
notification is generated for each state change.

What do you think?

Cheers,