[collectd] enhancement for notification format

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Mar 5 15:37:29 CET 2008

Hi Dieter,

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 03:02:50PM +0100, Dieter Bloms wrote:
> All lines should have a "key: value" pair and all data should be
> accessable via this format.

that's almost how it is: All data is passed in key-value-pairs, except
the message which is separated from the ``header'' by an empty line.
Thus the format looks much like HTTP message without the status line.

At first the message was a ``header field'', too, but when I learned
that the Nagios guys celebrate messages, that can span multiple lines,
as one of the big improvements in their upcoming new major version, I
didn't want to make the same mistake.

> --snip--
> Severity: FAILURE
> Time: 1204725290
> Host: myserver
> Plugin: load
> Type: load
> Instance: longterm
> threshold: 1.300000
> curreent: 3.070000
> Message: Host myserver, plugin load type load: Data source "shortterm"
>     is currently 3.070000. That is above the failure threshold of
>     1.300000.
> --snip--

Putting the threshold range and the current value into the header is not
done yet, because thresholds and notifications are kept separate. I can
see however that having this is desirable though. What about adding a
mechanism to add custom key-value-pairs to a notification?