[collectd] Patch to disable MIN and MAX RRAs in rrdtool plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sun Jun 8 17:37:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:06:29PM +0200, xm at leipzig.freifunk.net wrote:
> Basically it adds a new boolean option "RRASingle" to the rrdtool
> plugin. If the parameter is set to true, the plugin won't create
> MIN and MAX RRAs which reduces the size of created rrd files by
> roughly 50%.

I think this patch is a good idea. However, to me, the naming of that
option is far from being self-explanatory. I suggest to rename it to
something like RRACF (what you're really doing here is to configure the
consolidation functions to be used). Also, I'd make it functionally
equivalent to the "RRATimespan" option, i.e. use only the consolidation
functions specified by the RRACF config options, or the built-in list
{"AVERAGE", "MIN", "MAX"} if RRACF has not been specified at all.

This would imho make the configuration options more consistent and also
add more flexibility. To model your use-case, you'd simply specify
"RRACF AVERAGE", but specifying something like "RRACF MIN" and "RRACF
MAX" would also be possible to only use the MIN and MAX consolidation
functions.

Does that make sense to you?

> The patch can be found at
> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/utils/collectd/patches/100-rrdtool-add-rrasingle-option.patch

Could you please attach patches to your E-mail in the future?
Especially, in the case where the patch is not wget'able from the
specified URL. That would make review a lot easier. TIA.

> I believe that it won't be compatible with your provided
> collections.cgi web interface script, but this isn't a problem
> for us since we reimplemented the whole rrdtool handling in Lua.

collection.cgi is just meant to be an example anyway. If the user
decides to configure collectd in a way incompatible to collection.cgi
it's fine for me to break that script by doing so ;-)

Cheers,