[collectd] Plugin iptables

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Jul 17 09:45:37 CEST 2008

Hi potros,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:51:54PM +0000, potros potros wrote:
> First of all, excuse my poor english.

Don't worry about that...

> But iptables don't work. I have read about problems with some
> libraries if they are statics libraries... but if I understand right,
> the problem is that the sources don't compile. I do it without errors.

Which architecture do you use? x86_32 works fine while x86_64 and others
are known to cause problems. Anyway, compilation should have failed if
you're on any of those architectures.

> The system is Debian etch.

You can get 4.3.2 for Etch from backports.org - see [1] for instructions.

> #####################################
>     LoadPlugin iptables
>     LoadPlugin logfile
>
>     <Plugin iptables>
>             Chain filter Bicuve
>     </Plugin>
>     <Plugin logfile>
>             LogLevel debug
>     #       File STDOUT
>     #       Timestamp true
>     </Plugin>
>
> #####################################

This looks fine to me.

> Bicuve is a chain as: "iptables -N Bicuve"

How did you setup the rules in that chain? Please provide us with the
output of "iptables -t filter -L Bicuve". I'm not really into the
iptables plugin but afaIk you have to add a comment to the rules that
should be taken into account by collectd.

Imho, the documentation could be improved in that respect. Examples how
to setup the iptables rules for different configurations would help a
lot. I've Cc'ed Sjoerd, who wrote that plugin - maybe he has some more
comments on that or even a patch for the manpage ;-)

HTH,
Sebastian

[1] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions