[collectd] pkgfoodir question

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Jan 31 22:55:22 CET 2008

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:50:20PM +0100, Christian Wiese wrote:
> Is there a why to tweak the Makefile to add a conditional that checks
> if @PACKAGE@ is already part of the prefix, and just adding @PACKAGE@
> in the case it is not i.e. while configuring with '--prefix=/usr" This
> would be quite helpful while using i.e. '--prefix=/opt/collectd' to
> not end up with libraries installed in '/opt/collectd/lib/collectd/'.

if I understand you correctly you want to have the libraries (or similar
files) in `$PREFIX/lib' if the prefix matches /collectd/ and in
`$PREFIX/lib/collectd' if it does not.

I don't think that's a good idea. Having default directories that change
depending on some non-intuitive rule is very unexpected. On the other
hand it's very common for package maintainers to override `pkglibdir' or
similar paths to fit the directory layout of their distribution. The
system wide /var directory is usually not withtin /usr (the usual
prefix), for example.

If we can do anything else to make your live easier, or if I got you
wrong, please let me know :)