[collectd] snmp plugin problem

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Aug 29 14:13:15 CEST 2008

Hi James,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:34:50PM -0400, James Thorpe wrote:
> I am getting the following warning/error:
> snmp plugin: I don't know the ASN type `128'

a quick search brought only this result:
-- 8< --
 octo at huhu:~ $ egrep -r '\<128\>' /usr/include/net-snmp | grep ASN
 /usr/include/net-snmp/library/snmp.h:#define SNMP_NOSUCHOBJECT (ASN_CONTEXT | ASN_PRIMITIVE | 0x0) /* 80=128 */
-- >8 --
So it seems like that device simply can't return one of the OIDs you
have configone of the OIDs you have configured.

> I am not sure if this is causing any issues. I am not able to see
> interface stats even though I have it enabled in the conf. This is
> collectd-4.3.2 running on CentOS 5. Any help will be appreciated
> greatly.

Have you tried running `snmpwalk' manually to check if any reasonable
values are returned at all? Also, are any files created at all? I. e.
does `not seeing any stats' mean that the files are missing or that they
are empty (or rather, filled with NaNs)?