[collectd] output plugin for Splunk

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Aug 23 11:40:15 CEST 2008

Hi Clay,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:59:23PM -0700, Clay Loveless wrote:
> For all you Splunk users out there, I'm going to be releasing a
> "Splunk for Collectd" app on SplunkBase.com before long. Just need to
> get some reports built up around the data that I'm now indexing.

if you do, please let me know so I can put a link on the collectd
homepage :)

> The Python code which I'm using to access the collectd-unixsock
> interface is here [1],

I don't know Python, but it's easy enough to read :) You currently
provide methods for `GETVAL' and `LISTVAL'. When I told you that you
don't need to `FLUSH' command I meant that it's not necessary to send
before a `GETVAL' command - it may still be interesting in a general
sense of course. Would it be hard to implement the other commands, too?

> Gunning for my t-shirt here ... I'd like to contribute the collectd.py
> script below to the project so that others using Python to retrieve
> collectd readings may take a shortcut.

Hehe, that's what the t-shirts are all about :) Unfortunately I have no
clue about Python. Do you know how Python modules usually are installed?
I'd love to include the code in bindings/python/, just like the Perl
stuff. Should I simply write a Makefile which installs it to
`/usr/lib/python*' or something like that?