[collectd] Problems with collectd and KVM

Joost Cassee joost at cassee.net
Tue Aug 12 10:38:06 CEST 2008

On 12-08-08 09:53, Florian Forster wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:35:00AM +0200, Joost Cassee wrote:
>> I am having some other issues with collectd. When I install it on a
>> KVM guest is kills the guest after a while. Of course, it is not a
>> collectd bug per se -- it should not be able to kill the system so
>> effectively. I'm going to try which plugin is triggering the problem
>> by enabling them one by one. Can you advise me on which plugins I
>> should try first?
>
> Ugh, that sounds nasty. Do you know how it's killed? I mean, does the
> kernel just oops or does the system run out of memory or something?

It's probably a problem with the (virtio?) block devices. The system is
semi-production, so I don't have a lot of freedom to try things out.
What happens is that after a while commands and directory listings
freeze up. At first it will be possible to use existing shells, as long
as everything is still in cache. After a while even pings don't work.
The only thing left to do is to forcefully destroy the virtual machine.

> I'm afraid I don't have a clue.. Can you provide the list of plugins you
> did load?

My list of plugins:
syslog cpu df disk entropy interface load memcached memory network nginx
ntpd processes rrdtool swap users vmem

> And maybe some more information on what is happening? How long
> does it take for the guest to die? How does it die? How much memory does
> it have, and how much is consumed? That kind of stuff ;)

After a few minutes the system begins to behave like I described above.
The host system as 4GB of memory of which the guest can use 3GB. It does
not fill up. Also, the system remains mostly idle (it has one quad-core
processor).

I'll just begin enabling plugins one by one and tell you when I hit
something.

Regards,

Joost

--