[collectd] Problems with collectd and KVM

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Aug 12 09:53:20 CEST 2008

Hi Joost,

I'm CC'ing the mailing list, so please group-reply ;) Your first mail to
the list will be caught in the moderation filter, don't worry about that
- the second one will go right through ;)

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:35:00AM +0200, Joost Cassee wrote:
> I am having some other issues with collectd. When I install it on a
> KVM guest is kills the guest after a while. Of course, it is not a
> collectd bug per se -- it should not be able to kill the system so
> effectively. I'm going to try which plugin is triggering the problem
> by enabling them one by one. Can you advise me on which plugins I
> should try first?

Ugh, that sounds nasty. Do you know how it's killed? I mean, does the
kernel just oops or does the system run out of memory or something?

Many plugins use sockets to connect to other daemons - I hope we can
rule those out. Under Linux many plugins read from /proc, so there
*might* be a problem in one of the proc handlers in the kernel, though
that'd be weird.

Personally I've had problems with the `dns' plugin which uses libpcap to
intercept DNS traffic. On one of my machines activating the plugin would
freeze the machine within 3-14 days.. Took me quite some reboots to
figure that out :/ My guess is that there's a problem in the network
card's driver, but that really is a guess.

I'm afraid I don't have a clue.. Can you provide the list of plugins you
did load? And maybe some more information on what is happening? How long
does it take for the guest to die? How does it die? How much memory does
it have, and how much is consumed? That kind of stuff ;)