[collectd] Gentoo Linux ebuild

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Apr 2 23:57:23 CEST 2008

Hi Boian,

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:05:59PM -0600, Boian Berberov wrote:
> I just wanted to let you know that there is an updated ebuild
> (package) for Gentoo Linux of your software.  I am just a user, so it
> is located in Gentoo Bugzilla, bug# 107076.

cool, thanks :) Just out of curiosity: Why is Gentoo having such a hard
time introducing new packages? That bug report is kind of ancient, isn't
it?

> I will try to watch out for new releases and try to keep the ebuild
> updated, unless you do not want me to.

Sure, that'd be cool :) If you want, (and I recall that) I can send you
a CC of the next announcement of a new version. By the way: 4.3.2 is
available ;)

> The package I downloaded, 4.3.1, had a GPL-3 license and that is what
> I set it to in the ebuild.  Let me know if this is incorrect.

The license depends on the files: All .c files carry a header that
specify under which license this particular file is available. Most
files are available under GPLv2 (only) and some are available under
GPLv2 or later. So for the latter the GPLv3 file is ``applicable'', but
if I had to chose between ``correct'' and ``incorrect'' I'd say that
file is incorrect. It ended up there, because I packaged the tarball on
another machine and I didn't double check which file
``automake --add-missing'' copied there.

To recap: Specifying GPLv3 is not wrong for some files, but specifying
GPLv2 is right for all files (at least I'm not aware of any files not
being GPLv2 compatible).