[collectd] snmp plugin not writing rrd's

Krist van Besien krist at vanbesien.org
Fri Sep 28 09:54:44 CEST 2007

On 9/28/07, Matt Peterson <matt at peterson.org> wrote:

> My specific interest is graphing SNMP variables (n.g. interfaces,
> temperature, etc) from a network switch, a Cisco 6509 in this case.
> While the pulling works fine for both of these into CSV files, and the
> debug version of collectd claims it's updating the RRD files, I find the
> data in them null (NaN with rrdtool dump).  What's a good way to debug
> this further?  Thanks!  Here's a sniplet of the config..

You might have run in to exactly the same problem I had with the snmp
plugin: Your update interval is higher than the hearbeat of your
rrd's. The result of this is that the rrd's remain at "NaN" as data
doesn't come often enough.

Either set the update interval to something lower, like 10 seconds, or
increase the heartbeat of your existing rrd files using "rrdtool
tune".

Krist

krist.vanbesien at gmail.com
krist at vanbesien.org