[collectd] collectd & libvirt

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Oct 30 21:32:33 CET 2007

Hey Rich,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 04:18:53PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> In particular it allows you to pull out disk and network I/O
> statistics for your running guests[1][2].

since a colleague showed `XenSource' or whatever it was (that commercial
Xen product) to me, and since I've seen how that was able to show
certain statistics, I was thinking that something like that would be
very handy. Especially network statistics may be interesting for hosting
providers with virtualized servers.

> From what I understand the model is a bit different from collectd
> because you don't need to run a daemon in each guest.  Instead the
> stats are collected from the management domain, as in the diagram
> above.

I'm not sure the models can be compared: collectd can collect statistics
for other hosts, i. e. the host acquiring the numbers and the host those
numbers apply to don't need to be the same. The SNMP plugin is an
example for this.
So it shouldn't be a problem to have collectd run in the ``domain 0''
and collect statistics for the guest systems.

> So I wonder if anyone has looked into writing a libvirt plugin for
> collectd? I will have a go at this in the few days, but if others
> have already done some work on this that would be a nice shortcut.

I didn't and, I'm afraid, I don't have the possibilities to look into
that. Also, so far I didn't hear of anyone doing anything in this
direction. If I can help you with anything, please don't hesitate to ask
though ;)