[collectd] collectd & libvirt

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 17:18:53 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of libvirt (http://libvirt.org/).  We
recently added performance monitoring support to libvirt.  In particular
it allows you to pull out disk and network I/O statistics for your
running guests[1][2].

         +--------+--------+--------+--------+
         | guest1 | guest2 | guest3 | guest4 |
         |        |        |        |        |
         +--------+--------+--------+--------+
         | domain 0 (management)             |
         | libvirt runs here                 |
         +-----------------------------------+
          Physical machine

 From what I understand the model is a bit different from collectd
because you don't need to run a daemon in each guest.  Instead the stats
are collected from the management domain, as in the diagram above.

Anyhow, we are also interested in centralising our performance data
collection and monitoring, so that you can monitor lots of physical
machines from a central station.  And one of the things we are looking
at is collectd + nagios for this.

So I wonder if anyone has looked into writing a libvirt plugin for
collectd?  I will have a go at this in the few days, but if others have
already done some work on this that would be a nice shortcut.

Rich.

[1] http://www.libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virDomainBlockStats
[2] http://www.libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virDomainInterfaceStats