[collectd] First time user of collectd 4.2.1: Issue with exec pluggin

jeff nad jixen10 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 20:53:27 CET 2007

Hi all,

Im a first time user of collectd under CentOS 4.4.

Im trying to use the exec pluggin to push custom metrics into collectd.

My simple test case does not work and nothing is logged to syslog.   This
little scripts is run and I expect the metrics to appear under
/opt/collectd/var/lib/collectd/qcaste01.   Metrics gererated by default
pluggins works.  I see the shell script being forked and executed.

x=2299366
while [ 1 ]; do
echo "qcaste01/cpu-0/cpu-idle N:$((x=$x+1))"
sleep 1
done

This prints to stdout every seconds:

qcaste01/cpu-0/cpu-idle N:2299367
qcaste01/cpu-0/cpu-idle N:2299368
qcaste01/cpu-0/cpu-idle N:2299369
qcaste01/cpu-0/cpu-idle N:2299370

The output metric looks ok as described in the doc... I surely missed
something

My collectd.conf has only the syslog/logfile/exec pluggins enabled.  The
exec section:

<Plugin exec>
        Exec "nobody:nobody" "/opt/collectd/scripts/test.sh"
</Plugin>

I tried to put debug log level but nothing is logged.

Any suggestion is appreciated

regards,

Jean-Francois