[collectd] collectd dieing without error?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu May 17 10:27:32 CEST 2007

Hi Ulf,

> > On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 02:42:58PM -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> > > I currently run an own compile of 3.11.2 which dies without error,
> > > no message in syslog, even when recompiled with debug option. This
> > > only happens on the RedHat EL4 U4 machines I rolled it out on.

this happened to me, too. The coredump blames the processes plugin, but
it didn't have debugging symbols, so take this with more than just one
grain of salt ;)

> No, it runs for a few days and then just is gone. No message in syslog
> about seg fault.

I don't think that segfaults get logged to syslog. We might be able to
catch SIGSEGV and work out a stack backtrace.. I've just found that the
GNU libc provides a `backtrace' function in <execinfo.h> (but no
manpage, *sigh*). That might be a good feature to implement.

> It seems often to happen when load is a big higher but not always.

I had the impression that it happens after the daemon has been running
about 7 days. If this holds true, my installation with debugging symbols
should die in 2-3 days..

> Haven't found anywhere, console, syslog, coredump file on the systems
> it has happened, be it normal compile or debug enabled.

Under most distributions the creation of a coredump is disabled by
default. You can enable it for your current shell (bash, other shells
have similar commands) and programms started by it using
 $ ulimit -c unlimited
The coredump should be in the same directory as the .rrd-files.